Dutch gas sector regulator recommends steep cut in Groningen production
2/1/2018
THE HAGUE (Reuters) - Gas production in the Dutch Groningen field should be cut nearly in half "as soon as possible" to limit the risks of earthquakes in the region, the Dutch gas sector regulator said on Thursday.
In its recommendation to the government, regulator SodM said production in Groningen should be limited to 12 billion cubic metres (bcm) per year, from the current cap of 21.6 bcm.
The regulator said it expects production to be cut further in the future, with a total shutdown possible if necessary, after the northern Dutch region was hit by the strongest earthquake in years last month.
(Reporting by Bart Meijer; Editing by Anthony Deutsch and Adrian Croft)
Sign up to Receive Our Newsletter
- RWE strengthens partnerships with ADNOC and Masdar to enhance energy security in Germany and Europe
- TotalEnergies and Mozambique announce the full restart of the $20-B Mozambique LNG project
- Five energy market trends to track in 2026, the year of the glut
- Venture Global wins LNG arbitration case brought by Spain's Repsol
- Trinity Gas Storage reaches FID on Phase II expansion

Comments